[ISLMA-Share] researching Supreme court cases- high school seniors

Thu Mar 1 09:20:09 CST 2018

I have a pathfinder dedicated to the Supreme Court. Go to mchs.net >
students & parents > Library > Research > Topic Pathfinders > Supreme
Court.  The helpful databases are listed first, but there are also 5
websites listed that might be helpful.

Carolyn

Carolyn Kinsella, District Librarian
Minooka Community High School
ckinsella at mchs.net

Central Campus
301 S. Wabena Ave.
Minooka, IL  60447
PH: 815-467-2140 ext. 5040

South Campus
26655 West Eames
Channahon, IL 60410
PH:  815-521-4217

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hi Librarians!
>
> Can anyone point me toward free resources for researching  "Supreme Court
> cases, decisions, and policy making as a result"? Class is Political
> Science and mostly seniors.
>
> I do have a printed book, but need more ideas.
>
> Here is what the teacher's assignment is: "You and your partner(s) will
> explore the policy-making of the Supreme Court in the area of civil
> liberties & civil rights. First you will be given a topic to research so
> you understand the significance of the liberty/right you will explore.
> Through studying actual Supreme Court cases you will develop a basic
> understanding of the important Constitutional issues that relate to your
> topic. You will also become familiar with various approaches to
> constitutional interpretation and how they are applied by the Court.
> Through analyzing the reasoning and opinions of the Justices, as well as
> shifts in Court doctrines/decision, you will examine the factors that shape
> and explain the Court’s policy decisions about your topic. Finally,  you
> will write about and present how the Court’s decisions have shaped your
> understanding of these important civil liberties and rights."
>
> Students will analyze political cartoons and interpret their relevance to
> their issue.
>

> Topics include Freedom of Religion, Expression, Press, Searches &
> Seizures, Due Process.
>
> The teacher did include names of some cases that relate, so that is a good
> start.
>

> Thank you for your time and advice!!!
>

> Lori McGreal
> lmcgreal at trinityhs.org

This message originates from Minooka Community High School District #111.
It contains information that is confidential or privileged and is intended
only for the individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone
else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. All
personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be
attributed to MCHS District #111, and may not be copied or distributed
without this disclaimer. If you received this message by mistake, please
notify us immediately at 815-521-4017