[ISLMA-Share] researching Supreme court cases- high school seniors

Thu Mar 1 10:46:02 CST 2018

Great resource for Supreme Court rulings!
https://www.oyez.org/

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/featured_articles/20080915monday.html

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2036448,00.html

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution#

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hi Librarians!
>
> Can anyone point me toward free resources for researching  "Supreme Court
> cases, decisions, and policy making as a result"? Class is Political
> Science and mostly seniors.
>
> I do have a printed book, but need more ideas.
>
> Here is what the teacher's assignment is: "You and your partner(s) will
> explore the policy-making of the Supreme Court in the area of civil
> liberties & civil rights. First you will be given a topic to research so
> you understand the significance of the liberty/right you will explore.
> Through studying actual Supreme Court cases you will develop a basic
> understanding of the important Constitutional issues that relate to your
> topic. You will also become familiar with various approaches to
> constitutional interpretation and how they are applied by the Court.
> Through analyzing the reasoning and opinions of the Justices, as well as
> shifts in Court doctrines/decision, you will examine the factors that shape
> and explain the Court’s policy decisions about your topic. Finally,  you
> will write about and present how the Court’s decisions have shaped your
> understanding of these important civil liberties and rights."
>
> Students will analyze political cartoons and interpret their relevance to
> their issue.
>

> Topics include Freedom of Religion, Expression, Press, Searches &
> Seizures, Due Process.
>
> The teacher did include names of some cases that relate, so that is a good
> start.
>

> Thank you for your time and advice!!!
>

> Lori McGreal
> lmcgreal at trinityhs.org

"Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?"
thedaringlibrarian.com

M.A. Educational Administration, Type 75
SLMS, Type 03 & Type 10
LRC Director, Lincoln Middle School

--

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the Acceptable Use Policies of District 57, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.  Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Mount Prospect School District 57.