[ISLMA-Share] myOn ebook program

Mon Mar 5 21:01:06 CST 2018

An administrator asked my opinion of it  a few years ago. I thought then
that reading selections were limited to just a few publishers and, as you
noted, skewed young. Have you considered Epic! ? Their selection of titles
is very good and classroom accounts are free to teachers.  Our students who
use it, like it.

On Mar 5, 2018 16:46, "Email list for the Illinois School Library Media
Association" <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> We have it in our k-8 district.
> I think the elementary teachers are okay with it.
> No one at the middle school uses it.
> We find it to look very young and even though they boast materials through
> high school, we find those are severly lacking.
> We also do not like the quizzes that students have to take.
> They say we can bypass them, but there are some that can't be bypassed.
> It is so they can measure the lexile, which is a whole other conversation!
>
> Instead, we use the free version of Newsela and database articles for
> non-fiction text.
>

> Mariela Siegert
> Adjunct Faculty, SOIS at Dominican University
> School Librarian
> ​,
> Westfield Middle School
> ​ in Bloomingdale, IL​
> marris116 at gmail.com
> @marris116
> Instagram:  msiegert_WFMS_Library
>

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Do any of you have experience with the myOn ebook program at any grade
>> level?  My principal asked me about it, and I'm interested in opinions of
>> those who have used it, rather than just relying on what I see on the
>> company's website.  Thanks in advance for any information you can share.
>>
>> Brooke Fleuette
>> Mercer County High School
>>
>> Currently reading: Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela
>> Duckworth
>> Currently listening to: Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton

This e-mail message contains information that may be privileged or
confidential and is the property of the Board of Education of Deerfield
Public School District No. 109.

It is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read,
print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any
part thereof. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. Any communication
sent or received by District 109 is a public record and may be subject to
inspection or copying under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).