[ISLMA-Share] Anyone in HS use World Book?

Mon Mar 12 09:51:31 CDT 2018

We have World Book. My reason for wanting to drop it is the VERY small
amount of information that is provided in the articles for the amount of
money we pay for it. Sure it is cheap enough - but I get $3000 a year to
support two libraries in a Pre-K through 12 school. There used to be more
in depth articles for the advanced edition - those are gone. If you have
access to all three levels of WB, there is very little difference between
the KIDS version and the advanced version. WB touts their links to
articles, etc. Many times those links are broken. While the appearance is
very nice - kids scroll through the pretty pictures for the entire hour if
I don't push them to actually click on the link to the article.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:09 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hi,
>
> Are any high schools using World Book online? I am considering losing it.
> I have looked at the usage reports, and I will admit it's been used, but I
> suspect all of those searches are when I teach database research. I am not
> privy to Works Cited lists, so I don't know if students are using and
> citing it.
>
> What are your thoughts on keeping an encyclopedia as a resource?
>
> In the grand scheme of things, it's not that expensive....
>
> I did think it was funny- they offered me the print books 2018 World Book
> for $900.00. I am not spending that much on printed encyclopedias!
>

> Thank you for your input.
>

> Lori

*Mary Richars*

Librarian/Teacher

Dieterich CU #30

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop
reading them." Ray Bradbury

Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back
the right one. Neil Gaiman