[ISLMA-Share] Help with author research writing assignment

Wed Mar 14 13:13:09 CDT 2018

This is a great challenge.
What about having the students look at materials like those about Banned
Books on the ALA website, or We Need Diverse Books, or discussions of
cultural misappropriation? Then ask some of those questions about the
authors they are researching - do they write about things some people might
find offensive, or inappropriate for students their age? Do they write
about cultures they're not part of? Should they? Do they do it with
integrity?
This could get really big, really fast, so you might want to help the
teacher narrow the scope a bit.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> How the outcome of their lives or decisions could have changed by
> different choices in their past?
>

> Jennifer Bromann-Bender
> Librarian
> Lincoln-Way West High School
> 21701 S. Gougar Rd.
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=21701+S.+Gougar+Rd.+%0D%0A+New+Lenox,+IL+60451&entry=gmail&source=g>
> New Lenox, IL 60451
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=21701+S.+Gougar+Rd.+%0D%0A+New+Lenox,+IL+60451&entry=gmail&source=g>
> 815-717-3551 <(815)%20717-3551>
> jbromann-bender at lw210.org
>

> ------------------------------

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School