[ISLMA-Share] Library Renovation: Open Entryway?

Wed Mar 21 13:29:01 CDT 2018

We just built a new space this year, and we have a sliding glass wall
(Nanawall) that we open for a wide open entry between the library and a
commons area.  We can get a lot of noise bouncing in from our commons area,
but we can shut it when we need it to be quiet in the library and still
have a standard door for entry when the Nanawall is closed.  We also close
the wall every night when we leave for the day.  I love it, but I pinched a
few of my fingers until I got the hang of getting it open and closed.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> My school has an opportunity to do some library renovation. I've talked to
> the superintendent about being involved as much as possible, but the whole
> process is being very rushed. The architect and my superintendent are both
> promoting wide, open entryway near our main hallway.
>
> I'm concerned about the noise from the hallways. Our bell schedule varies
> a bit by grade, so the passing periods are sometimes during a class period.
> We are also often used as an alternate location for tests, both everyday
> tests and state testing.
>
> Do any of you have an open entryway? Any pros/cons?
>
> Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Jeanne Brucher
Teacher-Librarian
jbrucher at geneseoschools.org