[ISLMA-Share] MID: research projects

Thu Mar 29 09:20:29 CDT 2018

I have finally made headway in convincing the ELA teachers to incorporate a research component into their curriculum (it helps that the new curriculum spends a great deal of time pushing it as well).

Anyway, I serve 1200 students in grades 5-8. Each grade is going to want me to teach the entire research process to their students. I will be using Big 6 with them.

What I need to know, is how long do you take for a unit like this? I will only be able to meet with the students 1 day a week, and I need to have space in my schedule to shift classes, support checkout, support other librarians in the district, etc.

In my head, I am thinking a semester would work. 18 weeks to introduce each step, give them time to do the step, complete a project.

If you have a unit like this, I would appreciate it if you would share it with me. If you do this on a yearly basis, how does this look?

Thanks,

Kendra Hodgson-Newton, MLIS
Glenview Middle School
East Moline School District #37