[AISLE-Share] Fwd: Readers Incentive Program

Tue May 22 07:42:04 CDT 2018

We are an hour from the Barnes and Noble that we go to.  So, it does mean a bus ride.  Also, we take sack lunches and eat them in the food court at the nearby mall.  We are not allowed to use budged money to buy lunch for the students and my students could not afford to pay for lunch outside of school.  I love your ideas, Connie.

Peggy Burton, Librarian

Williams Elementary School

1709 S. 9th Street

Mattoon, IL 61938

217-238-2800

________________________________
From: aisle-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <aisle-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> on behalf of Email list for the Association of Illinois School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:11:25 AM
To: aisle at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [AISLE-Share] Fwd: Readers Incentive Program

 I live where the closest big town (with restaurants and Barnes and Noble) is over an hour away! ! We do it all in house. For every book read their name goes in a drawing for prizes.  ( posters from book fairs,  bags of candy--after holiday sale stuff is cheap! !, etc.)  They answer 3-5 quick questions  over the book to prove they have read.  For kids who read 10 or more books I give them a certificate to "buy" books from Scholastic. ($1 per book from 10-20) I use bonus points from the year and sometimes my PTO has helped. Everyone gets their participation certificate at one of our quarterly academic award programs, with special awards given to readers who read 10, 15, and 20 books. They know those milestones and in a small district getting that award in front of all the parents who come is pretty satisfying. All students who completed the program get to eat with me in the library for announcement of the winner and I provide dessert, usually home baked goodies and ice cream sundaes.
Connie

Connie Workman, Librarian
VIT CUSD 2
Table Grove, IL