[AISLE-Share] Moral Compass

Thu Nov 1 13:45:36 CDT 2018

Hi everyone! I'm working on putting a list together for my 8th Grade
students. Their upcoming unit is about having a "Moral Compass." Below is a
brief description from McGraw-Hill about the unit:

*How is character formed? People are not simply good or bad, but reflect
the diversity of human experience. This Grade 8 unit prompts students to
explore this question and consider the complexities of morality. How do
human beings draw upon their experiences to make a difference in the world
and to make themselves better people? One of the first steps is learning
about the world. This unit opens with “Abuela Invents the Zero,” a short
story by Judith Ortiz Cofer that chronicles a teenage girl’s struggles with
her traditional Puerto Rican grandmother and the culture clash it
represents. Other selections delve into rich characters and
character-building situations as created by Anton Chekhov, Langston Hughes,
Louisa May Alcott, Mark Twain, Gary Soto, Rudolfo Anaya, William Blake, and
Pablo Neruda. Students will explore the complexities of how people become
who they are as well as investigate ways to realize their potential in the
world.*
Books can range from 5th Grade-9th Grade levels, due to the range of
reading abilities.

Thank you in advance!

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info