[AISLE-Share] HS Student Library Assistants?

Tue Nov 6 08:09:40 CST 2018

I have always had student library workers and could not run the library
without them.  It is volunteer and students come from their study hall. I
have an online application process that requires a recommendation from
another teacher. First semester freshmen are not allowed to apply because I
have found that it takes a semester for freshmen to get organized enough to
determine if they can give up a study period.  Students must maintain a C
average in every class to stay as library workers.  It is a volunteer
program with no credit or grade. I do tell students that they have
immediate research help, no overdue notices and a pizza party at the end of
the semester. MCHS is not a 1:1 district, but there are 90 Chrome books in
the library.  The student workers check them in and out to other students
and make sure that the computers are all returned and plugged in at the end
of the hour. The students also help create displays, process books, shelve
and do anything else the adult assistants or I need them to do.  I provide
recommendations for honor societies, jobs, college applications, etc. I
tell the students to treat their time in the library like a first job, and
most of them do so.

Carolyn Kinsella, District Librarian
Minooka Community High School
ckinsella at mchs.net

Central Campus
301 S. Wabena Ave.
Minooka, IL  60447
PH: 815-467-2140 ext. 5040

South Campus
26655 West Eames
Channahon, IL 60410
PH:  815-521-4217

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 8:03 PM Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am curious if anyone still has student library assistants in their
> school library?
>
> I was kicking around the idea of starting a program at our building and I
> wanted to get some insight into what others are doing.
>
> If you have a program, could you please share the details? Paid or
> volunteer? Duties, issues, advantages, disadvantages, etc?
>
> Thanks,,
> Eric

> Eric Bodwell
> ebodwell at gmail.com
> http://www.ericbodwell.com
>
> "The librarian isn't a clerk who happens to work at a library. A librarian
> is a data hound, a guide, a sherpa and a teacher. The librarian is the
> interface between reams of data and the untrained but motivated user."
> -Seth Godin
>
> “I am hard to disgust, but a pretentious poet can do it” - Marianne Moore

This
message originates from Minooka Community High School District #111. It
contains information that is confidential or privileged and is intended
only for the individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone
else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. All
personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be
attributed to MCHS District #111, and may not be copied or distributed
without this disclaimer. If you received this message by mistake, please
notify us immediately at 815-521-4017

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info