[AISLE-Share] Grades in Library?

Thu Nov 15 09:01:38 CST 2018

I am fixed with K and 1 and that is their prep.  Because our 2-4 teachers
have beyond their contractual prep time, we have moved away from them
having a prep during my time with the kids.  That being said, I am flex
with grades 2-4.  I may push in, pull out, work with small group - all
dependent on what we agreed to during collaboration time for a unit of
study.  So I may see a class of kids for a week straight and not see them
again for a couple of weeks...all dependent on the needs of the
students/staff.  I used to see all classes weekly but felt the lessons were
in isolation and not connected to what was happening in the classroom.  I
also ask teachers if I can pull their kids for book talks (or I push into
the classroom) or to do lessons that may not work during a unit they are
working on.  It is very flex...I also have book checkout with every class
but if I'm with a class due to flex, my assistant does book checkout with
them.  3/4 have a 20 minute slot plus flex book checkout because not all
kids were getting into the library with the flex so we determined if we
could at least see every class for 20 minutes, they get into the library,
see new books, hear booktalks, get quiet time to read if they don't need a
book and can check out a book if they need to.   The teachers sometimes
stay when I'm with kids for a unit of study they are doing in the classroom
but when I pull out their kids, they don't usually stay; however, sometimes
I ask if they are willing to stay to support which they usually do.
It isn't perfect and in theory sounds great, but it is better than the
isolated lessons.   I rambled...but I was trying to capture how it works
with the fixed/flex schedule.

--
Margo Newtown
Sheridan School Librarian