[AISLE-Share] Favorite Picture Books for Storytime

Fri Nov 16 11:41:46 CST 2018

I’m also a high school librarian but I have two young girls and during the summer I work in the Kids’ Library at the Elmhurst Public Library where they think it fun to have the high school librarian do kindergarten and first grade programming (talk about culture shock).

Here are my daughters’ favorites for me to read to them:

*  We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen  (I think they like the sound effects I create and the way I whisper “Tiptoe, tiptoe” in the cave and shout out BEAR!)

*  Book with No Pictures by BJ Novak  (Warning:  the word “butt” is used here)

*  Once Upon a Motorcycle Dude by Kevin O’Malley  (You need another person or the ability to do two different voices which I think is funnier because you end up arguing with yourself – what I do to entertain my girls)

*  Pete the Cat books by James Dean.    I read Pete the Cat books this past summer for my kindergarten and first grade programs.  Don’t ask me why, but I found myself trying to do Pete’s  voice similar to Louis Armstrong and the tunes to songs from the 50’s & 60’s rock.  For example, in Rocking in my School Shoes, I used the turn of Elvis Presley’s Hound Dog.

*  Gerald and Piggie series by Mo Willems.

As you can tell, I prefer all serious, no-nonsense books much like my storytelling technique.  Hope this helps.

Brian Andrusyk
School Librarian/Sub Coordinator/Bookstore Manager
IC Catholic Prep
www.andrusykslibrary.weebly.com<http://www.andrusykslibrary.weebly.com/>

Currently Reading:
The Reader by Traci Chee