[AISLE-Share] Book Suggestions

Wed Nov 28 09:25:53 CST 2018

Does it have to be a novel? Otherwise, what about *Spare Parts* -- the
story of a group of Latino kids from Arizona that beat out MIT in an
underwater robotics competition? (Was a movie too.)

Leah Krippner
Librarian, Harlem High School
I am currently reading *Dumplin'* by Julie Murphy

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 9:17 AM Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> I preface this by saying I have not had a chance to read it yet so I don't
> know about appropriateness for the HS level but have they looked at *Behold
> the Dreamers* by Imbolo Mbue?
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 08:06, Email list for the Association of Illinois
> School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> My English teachers are looking for a book to read with their juniors
>> that deals with pursuing the "American Dream".  They are currently teaching
>> The Jungle, and both the teachers and the students are not enjoying it.
>> They would like a new book by an American author that discusses the trials
>> and tribulations of immigrants coming to America to pursue the "American
>> Dream".  A huge bonus would be if the book showed the author arguing for
>> change.
>>
>> They had considered Uncle Tom's Cabin, but they don't think it would be a
>> huge hit with students, and it does not involve immigrants.
>>
>> I know you are a very knowledgeable group, and I was hoping for some
>> great suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Stephanie
>>

>> --
>> *Stephanie Flott*
>>
>> Dwight Township High School            Dwight Grade School
>> 801 S. Franklin St.                             801 S. Columbia St.
>> Dwight, IL 60420                               Dwight, IL 60420
>> 815-584-6293                                    815-584-6239

> *Kari Stevenson*

*This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
communication of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.*

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info