[AISLE-Share] Book Suggestions

Wed Nov 28 12:29:51 CST 2018

*Americanized: Rebel Without a Green Card *is on my stack of books to
read.  It's a memoir of a girl who finds out at 13 she is an illegal
immigrant from Iran.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:28 AM Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> *Audacity* by Melanie Crowder--It's a novel in verse, but is based on the
> life of Clara Lemmich, a Russian Jewish immigrant who comes to New York
> City at the start of the 20th century.  She fights for women's inclusion in
> the early garment workers unions.  It was on the Read for a Lifetime list a
> few years ago.
>
> *You Bring the Distant Near *by Mitali Perkins--This novel is more about
> identity than social change, but fits the idea of whether or not you have
> to give up your own culture to obtain the American Dream.  "Five girls.
> Three generations. One great American love story. You Bring the Distant
> Near explores sisterhood, first loves, friendship, and the inheritance of
> culture--for better or worse. Ranee, worried that her children are losing
> their Indian culture; Sonia, wrapped up in a forbidden biracial love
> affair; Tara, seeking the limelight to hide her true self; Shanti,
> desperately trying to make peace in the family; Anna, fighting to preserve
> Bengal tigers and her Bengali identity--award-winning author Mitali Perkins
> weaves together a sweeping story of five women at once intimately relatable
> and yet entirely new."
>
> With our juniors we still read *The Great Gatsby *to examine the American
> Dream.  Then later in the year, students each select their own novel from a
> list of American Voices I have prepared.  Students are each supposed to
> pick a book that would not be part of their own culture/experience and use
> it for comparison/contrast--the window, not the mirror.
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 9:55 AM Email list for the Association of Illinois
> School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> This is probably a little young for HS students, but Esperanza Rising is
>> awesome, and it fits the majority of your requirements.
>>
>> Otherwise, take a look at this link.  There are quite a few interesting
>> books on there!
>> https://socialjusticebooks.org/booklists/immigration/
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 9:31 AM Email list for the Association of
>> Illinois School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Does it have to be a novel? Otherwise, what about *Spare Parts* -- the
>>> story of a group of Latino kids from Arizona that beat out MIT in an
>>> underwater robotics competition? (Was a movie too.)
>>>

>>> Leah Krippner
>>> Librarian, Harlem High School
>>> I am currently reading *Dumplin'* by Julie Murphy
>>>

>>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 9:17 AM Email list for the Association of

>>> ------------------------------
>>> *This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that
>>> is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable
>>> law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
>>> notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
>>> communication of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
> [...]

Mary M. Rund
Librarian
Central A&M High School
229 E. Pine St.
Moweaqua, IL  62550
(217 <(217)%20226-4241>) <(217)%20226-4241>768-2137

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info