[AISLE-Share] Need Suggestions for Picture Books As Mentor Texts

Thu Nov 29 11:48:35 CST 2018

I have used this as a resource for ordering SEL picture books.  It was
given to me by our social worker.

https://www.weareteachers.com/15-must-have-picture-books-for-teaching-social-emotional-skills/

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 11:26 AM Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I am looking for a magical link or resource that provides good suggestions
> for
>
> *picture books* on different topics that teachers can use as read aloud
> mentor texts with their classes?
>
> I know Pinterest would be an option, but I’m hoping for more “official”
> and concise go-to resources. I am in a 5/6 school...but with picture books,
> really anything would be fun and useful to start a group conversation. Just
> nothing for itty bittys or HS.
>
> For example:
> Each Kindness by Woodson would be good for conversations about
> friendship, respecting others, descriptive language, etc.
>
> Some Example Topics:
> Bullying
> Communication skills
> Empathy
> Erin’s Law (tough subject)
> Inferencing
> Mindfulness
> Problem solving
> Service
> Stories that have strong beginnings/endings
> Taking a stance
> Teamwork
>
> Thank you!
> Crystal Roel