[AISLE-Share] MID: going 1:1

Fri Nov 30 09:20:49 CST 2018

Kenda,

In the past 4 years I have gone through all of what you are about to
undertake.

Our library redesign was done in two phases (it was supposed to be 3). The
first stage took place over the summer when they re-carpeted the floor, and
then we had our old shelving and all furniture removed. We got a new
circulation desk, new tables and chairs, 2 booth seats, new wall shelves,
several styles of mobile short shelves, a new seating area, 3 tall pub
tables, and some soft seating. The second phase occurred the next year. We
received 3 levels of seating/tables in our new "presentation area."

We went 1:1 in the building as a whole with every class getting a set of
Samsung Chromebooks. The following year (mid-year) we went to a modified
1:1  in our 8th grade only at first, where the students got new Dell
Chromebooks that they could carry around all day. The following year
everyone was given Dell Chromebooks (the old 8th graders' CB's were given
to the new 8th graders; the new 7th graders were given brand new Dell CB's,
and the new 6th graders were also (a surprise to us) given brand new Dell
Chromebooks.

So now every student has a Dell Chromebook that they carry around all day
(don't get me started on them going to lunch). And our library looks
amazing and is very multi-functional. It is used for after-school homework
club, after school parent nights. During the day, the presentation area is
now used as a teacher's classroom four periods of the day. The tables and
chairs can be signed up for by classes coming to get books or do other
lessons. We only allow the booths to be used by small groups WITH a
teacher. The pub tables are for students that come down on passes from
teachers to do makeup work.

We do have two book fairs a year that we shift the tables and chair around.
That "closes" the library for 4-5 days.

Overall, the school loves the library space. It is much more inviting and
functional after the redesign. I have noticed a few things I would have
changed about our furniture, but hindsight is 20/20.

I have been told that next year I will be actually teaching a
media/technology class 6 periods and have 2 half-period "social skills"
classes. I assume it will be here in the library, so I will no longer be
"running the library." My aide will be in charge of all daily library
operations.

I am not sure how that will all work out, especially if the other teacher
continues to teach her class in here.

If you have any questions, you can call or email me off-list.

*Mr. Tim Yoder*

Librarian
Harvard Junior High School
1301 North Garfield Street