[AISLE-Share] Try It Illinois

Tue Oct 9 14:02:46 CDT 2018

Last year, my fellow librarian and I tag-teamed it and sent out email blasts. First, she sent one to all faculty, and then later, I sent a few follow-ups to specific content areas with specific databases and reasons why they might be useful. You can see last year's emails below:

First Email:
The Illinois State Library's statewide digital resource trial <http://www.finditillinois.org/tryit/> is now active for OTHS. Over 200 digital resources are free during this trial.  Use this with your students or your own children. If you or your students locate a great resource, please let someone in the IMC know about it. The trial<http://www.finditillinois.org/tryit/> is active through November 30th.

Login: go2info
Password: 17illinet

Some of the great resources include....
Armed Conflict Database
Art Source
BioOne Complete
Bloom's Literature
Britannica Online Academic
Business Source Complete
Chemistry Net Base
Credo Online Reference
Drama Online
Encyclopedia of Social Work Online
Environment Complete
FactCite - Sports, Mythology, etc.
Ferguson's Career Guidance Center
Grove Music Online
Health Reference Center
High School eBook Collection
Medline with Full Text
Newspaper Archive
Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
Social Studies Launch Packs
Teach Diverse Books
US Political Stats
Vocabulary.com
World Folklore and Folklife
World History Collections

Follow-Up Email:

Health and English and Driver's Ed, Oh my!

While looking through the many offerings for Try-It! Illinois that Jen emailed about at the beginning of the week, I found a database called Teen Health & Wellness: Real Life, Real Answers that I thought might be relevant to your classes' assignments. In the past, I found that when my students looked for information on subjects like distracted driving or healthy habits, the sources they found weren't as catered to them as teens as they wanted them to be. This database seems to do a good job of focusing the information for students.

I put the link to the Try-It! page for Teen Health below, but you still might need to find it in the product list after using the login information in Jen's email (way below).  Please let Jen or I know if you think this could be a useful database for your classes.
http://www.finditillinois.org/cgi-bin/tryit/getSpecificRecord.pl?number=905

Melissa Tedesco

O'Fallon Township High School

Milburn IMC Coordinator & Information Literacy Instructor

(618) 622-9647 x 642      tedescom at oths.us

Currently Reading:<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/3565170?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[Book Cover]<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/3565170?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
<https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature>