[AISLE-Share] Youth as Advocates for 6th grade

Tue Oct 16 14:01:37 CDT 2018

Good afternoon all,

I am working on creating a reading list for next year on youth advocates that have pushed for change. In our current writing curriculum we have articles on:

·       Jake Andraka ~ Cancer research

·       Alex Lin ~ Environmental issues

·       Alex Libby ~ Bullying

·       Sophia Cruz ~ Immigration

·       Malala ~ Education

Hence, I am looking for two things:

1.    Non-fiction titles on similar energetic young adults. For example, I think I am going to add The Boy Who Invented TV : The Story of Philo Farnsworth to the list as one that is right at the grade’s reading level. I am rocking the inventors, I really need suggestions on youth that made political and social change.

2.    Fiction titles with a hero that does these things. For example, I am thinking about adding Jackie’s Wild Seattle, Adam Canfield of the Slash, and The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora.

The materials need to cover a wide range in reading abilities. I have 6th graders that read at a high school level as well as some that are beginning readers.

Suggested titles/people are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education."
- Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info