[AISLE-Share] EasyBib alternatives?

Thu Sep 13 13:08:00 CDT 2018

I have been teaching students to use EasyBib for years as a way to identify
and learn MLA citations.  I found that the assistance in knowing what to
identify in the sources and eliminating the time-consuming formatting was
beneficial.  I even paid for the subscription before it became EasyBib
EDU.  Now that they ended the EasyBib EDU accounts, all of our school
gMails cannot use EasyBib, even the free version.

I am looking for suggestions of alternative citation tools.    I can tell
you that *I have already tried* the following options:

   - *BibMe, Citation Machine, CiteThisForMe*  are all Chegg services (like
   EasyBib) so the difficulties in "free" registration after creating two
   citations are not worth the hassle--forcing registration for premium
   services in order to "complete" registration, the inability to get the
   ad-blocker to stop popping up on Chrome, etc.  My browser keeps getting
   caught in an endless loop.  Has anybody else figured out how to get out of
   this loop?
   - I tried the *EasyBib Add-on* for Google Docs.  While it does do a
   quick citation for website and book, if there are any errors in the
   auto-cite, you cannot fix it.  Even if you fix it on the doc, it returns to
   the incorrect entry every time you add a new reference to your bibliography
   manager.  If I add a manual citation from our database to my doc, it also
   disappears when you add a new source to the EasyBib manager.  Thus,
   students would still have to have multiple documents open to cut and paste
   citations back and forth.
   - I looked at *EndNote, ProCite, Reference Manager, and RefWorks,* since
   our Gale databases will export to those services, but they all appear to be
   much more geared to graduate students or researchers, not junior high and
   high school students.
   - I did a preview of *NoodleTools* last spring, but there were way more
   writing tools than we are interested in.  We just want a citation service.
   - We already use *Purdue OWL and MLA*'s site for verifying citations, we
   are just looking for something that assists with pulling the data in
   auto-cite.

TIA,
--
Jeanne Brucher