[AISLE-Share] Happy book request

Wed Sep 19 07:26:20 CDT 2018

I'd love to hear some YA suggestions, too! Our students are always asking for books that are more lighthearted. I do have some adult suggestions:

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang was, overall, sweet and uplifting and could be considered Adult for Young Adult. (I am guessing this one will show up on some lists next year.)

https://www.amazon.com/Beasts-Extraordinary-Circumstance-Ruth-Emmie/dp/1250112044/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537359432&sr=1-1&keywords=beasts+of+extraordinary+circumstance

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance: A Novel: Ruth Emmie ...<https://www.amazon.com/Beasts-Extraordinary-Circumstance-Ruth-Emmie/dp/1250112044/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537359432&sr=1-1&keywords=beasts+of+extraordinary+circumstance>
www.amazon.com
Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance: A Novel [Ruth Emmie Lang] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Exquisite and adventurous ― Bustle , 11 New Fiction Books You Need Told with brains and heart ―Michelle Gable

David Sedaris's new book Calypso made me laugh out loud many times. Of course, there is a bit of tragedy because it's his real life, but he always puts an interesting spin on things. This one reminded me more of his earlier stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Calypso-David-Sedaris/dp/0316392383

Calypso: David Sedaris: 9780316392389: Amazon.com: Books<https://www.amazon.com/Calypso-David-Sedaris/dp/0316392383>
www.amazon.com
Calypso [David Sedaris] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. David Sedaris returns with his most deeply personal and darkly hilarious book. If you've ever laughed your way through David Sedaris's cheerfully misanthropic stories

Less by Andrew Sean Greer was much more lighthearted than other Pulitzer Prize winners I've tried. It also made me laugh out loud.

https://www.amazon.com/Less-Winner-Pulitzer-Prize-Novel/dp/031631613X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537359241&sr=1-1&keywords=less+by+andrew+sean+greer

Amazon.com: Less (Winner of the Pulitzer Prize): A Novel ...<https://www.amazon.com/Less-Winner-Pulitzer-Prize-Novel/dp/031631613X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537359241&sr=1-1&keywords=less+by+andrew+sean+greer>
www.amazon.com
Andrew Sean Greer is the bestselling author of five works of fiction, including The Confessions of Max Tivoli, which was named a best book of 2004 by the San Francisco Chronicle and the Chicago Tribune.He is the recipient of the Northern California Book Award, the California Book Award, the New York Public Library Young Lions Award, the O Henry award for short fiction and fellowships from the ...

And finally, Castle of Water by Dane Hucklebridge is the best book I've read this year. There is a lot of tragedy but also light and happy moments. It is written so beautifully AND!!! the protagonist reminisces about spending time as a boy in rural Illinois (I believe Macoupin County) which is especially pertinent for our group.

https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Water-Novel-Dane-Huckelbridge/dp/125009822X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537359601&sr=1-1&keywords=Castle+of+Water

Amazon.com: Castle of Water: A Novel (9781250098221): Dane ...<https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Water-Novel-Dane-Huckelbridge/dp/125009822X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537359601&sr=1-1&keywords=Castle+of+Water>
www.amazon.com
“Castle of Water is a unique, inventive exploration of love, loss, and survival. The novel's two characters, lost and alone on a Polynesian island, must rely on each other when the world has forgotten all about them.

Happy reading!

Melissa Tedesco

O'Fallon Township High School

Milburn IMC Coordinator & Information Literacy Instructor

(618) 622-9647 x 642      tedescom at oths.us

Currently Reading:<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/3565170?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[Book Cover]<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/3565170?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
<https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature>