[AISLE-Share] Book Suggestions

Wed Sep 26 10:56:18 CDT 2018

Try Watt Key's book Alabama Moon.  It is a great novel!  There is a male
protagonist.  The boy, Moon, has only had his dad.  His dad dies, and
leaves Moon to survive on his own in the woods.  It is an essentially a
survivalist novel, but it does have some of the family dynamics that need
to be discussed.  I've never had an 8th grade boy not love this book.  *Dirt
Road Home* is the second book.  There is also a movie.  Here is a little
info I pulled off Amazon:

"I could trap my own food and make my own clothes. I could find my way by
the stars and make fire in the rain. Pap said he even figured I could whip
somebody three times my size. He wasn't worried about me. For as long as
ten-year-old Moon can remember, he has lived out in the forest in a shelter
with his father. They keep to themselves, their only contact with other
human beings an occasional trip to the nearest general store. When Moon's
father dies, Moon follows his father's last instructions: to travel to
Alaska to find others like themselves. But Moon is soon caught and
entangled in a world he doesn't know or understand, apparent property of
the government he has been avoiding all his life. As the spirited and
resourceful Moon encounters constables, jails, institutions, lawyers, true
friends, and true enemies, he adapts his wilderness survival skills and
learns to survive in the outside world, and even, perhaps, make his home
there. In this compelling, action-packed book, Watt Key gives us the
thrilling coming-of-age story of the unique and extremely appealing Moon.
Alabama Moon is a 2007 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the
Year."--Amazon

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:16 AM Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> My guidance counselor is wanting to read a novel with an 8th grade boy
> hoping to help connect with him.  We are looking for a book that might
> address depression and family dynamics with a male protagonist.  Any ideas?
>
> *Sarah*

Kristi L.S. Pierce
Certified Library Media Spec.
Certified Educational Technology Spec.