[AISLE-Share] Book Selection Policy & Book Challenge Process

Wed Sep 26 12:41:27 CDT 2018

6:231 Harlem School District - Library Material Selection Policy

Books and other materials are selected to enhance and support the
curriculum of Harlem Schools. The learning centers provide materials to
serve the diversified needs and individual interests of our students. The
learning centers work to provide a range of materials of all levels of
difficulty, in various formats that is representative of many different
points of view.

*Criteria for Selection*

   1. Favorable reviews found in professional library selection sources
   2. Literary and artistic excellence
   3. Requests of staff and students
   4. Reputation and significance of the author, publisher, or producer
   5. Readability and accuracy
   6. Quality, durability, format, and price
   7. Contribution to the curriculum and educational goals of the school
   8. Timeliness or currency of material
   9. Contribution to the diversity of representative viewpoints of
   controversial issues

*Selection* *Tools*

*A.L.A. Award winners*

*Best Books for Young Adults*

*Booklist*

*A Core Collection for Young Adults*

*Edgar Award winners*

*Ho rn boo/c*

*Kirkus Review*

*Library Journal*

*Notable /Best Books (A.L.A.)*

*Publisher‘s Weekly*

*Professional Recommendations*

*Reference Books for School Libraries*

*School Library Journal*

*State Award Nominees*

*Voice of Youth Advocates*

*Wilson‘s Catalog*

*Professional Responsibility* and *Intellectual Freedom*

Recognizing that an atmosphere of free inquiry is essential to the
educational process and in order for our students to participate fully in a
democratic society, it is the professional responsibility of the school
librarian to defend the principle of freedom to read. The librarians adhere
to the American Library Association’s *Library Bill of Rights,* which is
also supported by the Illinois School Library Media Association.
Furthermore, materials shall be chosen for values of interest and
enlightenment of students in the schools. Books shall not be excluded
simply because of the language, style, or views of the writer. The fact of
sexual incidents or profanity appearing in a book will not automatically
disqualify it. Rather the decision should be made on the basis of whether
the book presents life in its true proportions, whether circumstances are
realistically dealt with, and *I* or whether the book is of literary value.

*Library Bill of Rights*

The American Library Association affirms that all libraries are forums for
information and ideas, and that the following basic policies should guide
their services.

   1. Books and other library resources should be provided for the
   interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the
   library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of origin,
   background, or views of those contributing to their creation.
   2. Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all
   points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be
   proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.
   3. Libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their
   responsibility to provide information and enlightenment.
   4. Libraries should cooperate with all persons and groups concerned with
   resisting abridgement of free expression and free access to ideas.
   5. A person’s right to use a library should not be denied or abridged
   because of origin, age, background, or views.
   6. Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to
   the public they serve should make such facilities available *on* an
   equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals
   or groups requesting their use.

*Adapted June 18, 1948. Amended February 2, 1961 and January 23, 1980.
Inclusion of “age” reaffirmed January 23, 1996 by the ALA Council.*

APPROVED: September 25, 2017

6:231-AP Administrative Procedure - Challenges to Library Materials

Upon receiving an oral challenge to library materials, the librarian shall
provide the complainant with a complaint form (Exhibit #) and directions to
return the form, when complete, to the librarian.

Upon receiving a completed complaint form, the librarian shall determine
that the complaint arises from a parent, student, or staff member. Outside
challenges need not be considered.

Once the complaint is established as authentic, the librarian shall review
the materials in question to assure they believe them to be appropriate for
the target audience.

If the librarian deems the challenged material appropriate, they are to
take the following steps:

   - Maintain the material in circulation
   - Register the complaint with the American Library Association Office of
   Intellectual Freedom
   - Acquire a copy of the material from another affiliated library
   - Acquire copies of any professional reviews or other pertinent
   information
   - Forward a copy of the complaint, the material in question, and all
   accompanying information to the Superintendent

The librarian needs to have completed the above listed steps within 10 work
days of receiving the formal complaint.  An extension may be granted if
materials are difficult o procure from other affiliated libraries.

*Superintendent*

Within 5 work days of receiving a Complaint form and accompanying
materials, the Superintendent shall determine if a meeting with a
complainant may resolve the issue. If so, he or she will schedule such a
meeting. If the complainant fails to meet, the issue shall be considered
resolved and the complaint closed.

APPROVED: September 25, 2017

6:231-AP2 Administrative Procedure - Committee for Reconsideration of
Library Materials

If the Superintendent is unable to resolve the issue, he or she shall
appoint a committee to make a recommendation. The committee shall be called
to an initial meeting within 20 work days of the superintendent's meeting
with the complainant. A failure to appoint such a committee in a timely
manner will render the challenge mute. The committee shall be comprised of
*:*

*Two librarians*.

These must be selected from a facility other than the one in which the
challenge arose. At least one must be an endorsed, certified, or degreed
librarian. Preference shall be given to qualified individuals within the
district.

*Two teachers*.

These shall be selected to reflect the range of ages within the building
(one teaching students at the upper edge of the building's age range and
one teaching student's on the lower edge of the building's age range). If
the challenge is parent or student generated, the teacher(s) who currently
has (have) that student in class may not be included on the committee.

The charge to the committee shall be as follows:

•   Select a chairperson for the committee.

•   Read or view the work in its entirety.

•   Read the professional reviews available.

•   Compare and/or contrast the challenged work with similar items or
topics in the library.

•   Consider input from the complainant and the building's librarian.

•   Consider the condition, timeliness, appropriateness to grade level,
critical reviews, curricular ties, and author credentials.

•   Reach consensus and make a written recommendation to the Superintendent:

•   Maintain the material in circulation

•   Restrict the work for the student only

•   Restrict the work from a group of students

•   Remove the work from the library

•   Appoint a spokesperson to present the recommendation to the Education
Committee and/or School Board Meeting.

The committee shall render its decision within 20 work days of their
initial meeting. A failure to render a decision in a timely manner shall
render the challenge mute. The Superintendent shall bring the committee's
recommendation to the Harlem Board of Education's Education Committee for
consideration at their next regularly scheduled meeting. The Education
Committee shall review the recommendation and raise any concerns before
forwarding the recommendation to the Harlem Board of Education for
consideration at their next regularly scheduled meeting.

The Superintendent shall inform all parties in writing of the decision of
the Harlem Board of Education.   If the decision of the Board of Education
is to remove or restrict the work the Board of Education decision shall be
enforced for five years following the Board action.

APPROVED:  May 6, 2013

Challenge form:

http://downloads.microscribepub.com/il/harlem/6231_e.pdf

Leah Krippner
Librarian, Harlem High School
I am currently reading *Dotmeme* by Mike A. Lancaster

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 12:34 PM Email list for the Association of Illinois
School Library Educators <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Greetings All!
>
> This week, I received my first ever book challenge (I'm in K-2 building)
> in 14 years! After receiving the email from a parent, we (our district)
> discovered that we do not have a Book Challenge process nor do we have a
> Book Selection Policy! Would any of you be willing to share your district's
> Book Challenge or Book Selection Policy that we might refer to when
> building our own?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help! Feel free to send them to me directly
> if you prefer....
>
> Lura O'Phelan
> ophelanl at skokie69.net
>
> --
> *Mrs. Lura O'Phelan*
> *Madison Librarian*
> *Skokie/Morton Grove School District 69*
> *5100 Madison St.*
> *Skokie, IL 60077*
> *(847)675-3048 x1183*

*This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
communication of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.*

aisle-leave at list.railslibraries.info