[aisle] OPAC migration - Destiny or open source software costs

Meredith Riddle riddlemer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 08:48:51 CDT 2019

Dear all,

Our IT department and I have been limping along with a very outdated OPAC.
(Even though it is no longer supported by Follett - can you believe we are
still working with their predecessor to Destiny, Catalog Pro?)

I am asking our superintendent for the expenditure to migrate to Destiny or
similar. For comparison's sake, I have started looking into open source
software like Koha or Evergreen, but when I contacted a company that
provides some technical support for such software, I was shocked that their
cost was just as high (if not higher) than for proprietary software like
Destiny!

So, my question is: are there any school libraries out there who are using
open source software and are able to keep the cost lower than what you
would spend on licensing Destiny? I guess it all boils down to what your IT
department is willing to do. I am wondering if I am making the issue more
complicated than it needs to be and should just push for Destiny.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help! If
you'd like to reply off-list, my email is below.

--

Meredith Riddle
District Librarian, Cerro Gordo CUSD #100
mriddle at cgbroncos.org