[aisle] Should it stay or should it go?

Wyatt, Paula plwyatt at cps.edu
Mon May 20 07:51:46 CDT 2019

If you taking this our because of the racial slurs,  and a fellow teacher
wants you to take it out,  you should remove Roll of Thunder Here My Cry
and other books by Taylor.  Until my son read that book he had never heard
or seen the word.  He asked me what it was and meant.  It was an excellent
moment to teach how language can dehumanize others.  In the lyrics of music
the N word is used everyday and  children of all ages hear it.  I think it
is very important they understand the historical context, and it's baggage
it brings into today's world.  If you are removing because of age, that is
a different story.

Paula Wyatt
Beaubien Elementary School Librarian

Libraries are . . . essential to the functioning of a democratic society .
. .libraries are the great symbols of the freedom of the mind.  Franklin D.
Roosevelt

*Click to see my projects at http://www.donorschoose.org/paulawyatt
<http://www.donorschoose.org/paulawyatt>*
*Please consider a donation!*

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 7:34 AM Melissa Lambert via AISLE <