[aisle] STEAM activities connected with literature

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Tue Oct 1 04:02:07 CDT 2019

Here are some I've used:

Getting Ideas & Persistence:
Rosie Revere, Engineer
What Do You Do with an Idea?
Monkey with a Toolbelt and the Noisy Problem

Building Things:
Iggy Peck, Architect
Dreaming Up! A Celebration of Building
The Most Magnificent Thing
Awesome Dawson
Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
If I Built a House...If I Built a Car...If I Built a School (all by Chris
VanDusen)
Going Places
Young Frank, Architect
Sky Boys: How They Built the Empire State Building
Building Our House

Science Experiments:
11 Science Experiments That Failed
Ada Twist, Scientist
Oh No! Or...How My Science Experiment Destroyed the World

Inventors/Inventions:
The Inventor's Secret: What Thomas Edison Told Henry Ford
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Rube Goldberg: Simple, Normal, HumDrum School Day
the Day-Glo Brothers
Papa's Mechanical Fish
Violet the Pilot
So You Want to Be an Inventor
Whoosh! Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions
Earmuffs for Everyone
POP! The Invention of Bubble Gum
Mr. Ferris and His Wheel
Marvelous Mattie: How Margaret Knight Became an Inventor
The Boo-Boos That Changed the World

Other Biographies:
Counting on Katherine
Shark Lady
The Girl Who Thought in Pictures
Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille
Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
Of Numbers and Stars

Coding:
How to Code a Sandcastle
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Clink
Hello Ruby: Adventures in Coding
Hello Ruby: Journey Inside the Computer
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 10:05 PM Kathy Kibitlewski via AISLE <

> Hello all, does anyone have a great resource they use to connect
> literature with STEAM activities. I have used the STEMREAD site from NIU,
> but I am looking for additional resources to use with shorter books as
> opposed to novels.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>