[aisle] Boolean searching does not work?

Renee Kozeal renee.kozeal at phs-il.org
Tue Oct 29 11:13:11 CDT 2019

Hi Lori,
You don't use NOT or AND in Google searches. You use - and +. You can still
use OR. Google has a decent search tips section to give you examples of
searches.

bears -chicago
yellowstone wolves +site:.org

I think it's still important to teach Boolean language as it is used in
search engines.

Renee Kozeal
Princeton High School

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:02 AM Lala Lala via AISLE <

> Hi everyone,
>
> It happens to me quite often that Boolean searching does not work. In a
> search engine, I use AND, OR, NOT and I get results that I am trying to
> avoid!
>
> It has gotten to the point where I don't want to show students Boolean
> searching because, even while I am demo-ing how to do it, the results show
> as if I am not using it! For example, in Google (not Google Advanced
> Search), I put in Miami NOT Dophins and I get a ton of results on the Miami
> Dolphins. It  happens in database searches, too.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Or is this now outdated or something?
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Lori McGreal
> Trinity High School librarian