[aisle] Time Sensitive Request: Expert Advice solicited

Elaine Noonan enoonan at summithill.org
Tue Sep 17 15:32:09 CDT 2019

Hi Gwen,

Students , as well as all of humanity, need honest connection and communication; mindful presence in the librarian/patron relationship. This includes deep listening to their requests and often listening between the lines. As a foundation,  Librarians themselves need to have a healthy relation ship with themselves in order to have an authentic relationship with their patrons of any age. Teens are used to be spoken to.  Its more than providing teens programs and  information;  we have plenty of that from every web and non web based source imaginable. It's an aspect of the Social Emotional Learning that schools are implementing to help with students understand and integrate  compassion, respect and random acts of kindness in order to "pay it forward".

I am also a Stress Management Educator (Certificate from Governors State University) and have practiced mindfulness for over the past 20 years.  I am a school librarian and utilize these concepts mentioned above with every student, staff member and administer i work with. I collected some oak leaves while on my daily lunchtime walk in nature (all seasons) and some acorns. I drew the analogy of acorn seeds, when planted in fertile soil, yielding amazing trees when students, with ideas (seeds) to be planted (journal/developed) for growth in perhaps areas of career development or stream of consciousness creativity.

I believe the Transforming Teen Services: A Train the Trainer Approach will be a most valuable program. Thank you for all you do.

Sincerely,

Elaine

Elaine Noonan
Summit Hill Jr. High School - Frankfort, Illinois
 School Librarian

The pages accompanying this e-mail originate from the school district of Summit Hill School District 161 and may be confidential and/or privileged information. It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message if you are not the intended recipient.  The contents may not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer.  It is believed that this email and any attachments are free of any virus or other defect. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free.  No responsibility is accepted by Summit Hill School District 161 for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.  If you received this message in error, please delete the message and advise the sender by reply e-mail or at 815.469.9103.  All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to Summit Hill School District 161.