[aisle] Cricuts in Libraries

Monica Fumarolo mfumarolo at d101.org
Fri Sep 20 11:02:41 CDT 2019

My school got two Cameo Silhouette 3's this year, and so far have been
extremely happy with them! As far as I can tell, they do the same thing as
Cricuts. Students are using them for the FUSE program, a STEM/STEAM
elective put together by Northwestern University. The software is free to
download, however since it doesn't work on students' Chromebooks, they use
a few decommissioned old staff laptops in the class instead. No emails
required!

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:28 AM Holtz, Alan C. (BMS) via AISLE <

> Good morning collective hive mind,
>

> The goal is to have students able to use our Cricuts in our library. Here
> are the four roadblocks that I am looking for a workaround with:
>
> ·        Our district’s email for student is in a walled garden. Students
> cannot email anyone outside of our district. Secondly, due to CIPA,
> students don’t get this until they are 13 and in 8th grade.
>
> ·        The software is user specific. Hence, it must be installed for
> each user.
>
> ·        Our AUP will not allow a generic email/account for Cricut.
>
> ·        Cricut requires an email and further states on their website:
>
> o   “*Your Account. To access our Site, make purchases of products or
> services, or participate in any Sponsored Activity you may be asked to (a)
> provide certain registration details or other information; (b) to establish
> a user account specific to you ("your Account"). To create your Account,
> you must qualify under and agree to the conditions set forth below:*
>

> * You are either 18 years old or older or the age of legal consent in your
> jurisdiction, whichever is older. We expressly reserve the right (but do
> not have the obligation) to request proof of age, at any time. You have to
> have an account to access the design space and canvas.”*
>
> Anyone with a workaround or another idea that is compliant with CIPA and
> AUP?
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School
>

> "What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
> about education."
> - Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education
>
> This message is for named person(s) only. It may contain confidential
> and/or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is
> waived or lost should mis-transmission occur. If you receive this message
> in error, delete it (and all copies) and notify the sender. You must not,
> directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part
> of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Valley View Public
> School District 365U reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
> communications through its networks.  Any views expressed in this message
> are those of the individual sender, except where the message states
> otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to the views of any
> such entity.  This e-mail has been virus and content scanned by Valley
> View Public School District 365U.

Monica Fumarolo, MSLIS
LLC Director, Librarian
Yearbook Advisor
McClure Junior High School
4225 Wolf Rd., Western Springs, IL 60558

--
This email transmission contains information from Western Springs School
District 101 which is confidential or privileged. This information is