[aisle] Recording Read-alouds

Jenna Nemec-Loise jnemecloise at nscds.org
Tue Apr 21 15:18:13 CDT 2020

Hi, Benjamin:

I'm also nervous about all those articles and posts saying, "Anything
goes!" with copyrighted materials in pandemic times. Fair Use is more
important than ever, and I applaud your consideration before posting
read-aloud recordings for your school community.

Many individual publishers have issued their own sets of guidelines for how
their works may be used while schools are closed. To the best of my
knowledge, there are two main sources for this information:

   - *School Library Journal's* COVID-19 Publisher Information Directory
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/113E-0ffElTRoI7zsvk6gjxrAgepeD-JGAD55-ftSfrc/preview>
   - Kate Messner's Publisher Guidelines on Fair Use for Online Storytimes
   & Read-Alouds during COVID-19 School Closures
   <https://www.katemessner.com/publisher-guidelines-on-fair-use-for-online-storytimes-read-alouds-during-covid-19-school-closures/>

Unfortunately, there's no one-size-fits-all answer here. Individual
guidelines vary in terms of whether or not recordings can be made, where
recordings can be posted, how long recordings can be accessible, and
whether or not the publisher or imprint must be mentioned at the beginning
of a read-aloud. It's best to check the individual publisher's guidelines
before proceeding with a book.

At my school, I'm making lemonade wherever I can out of our remote learning
lemons. This is a great opportunity to advocate for the role of school
librarians in copyright guidance, Fair Use compliance, and much, much more.

I hope this helps!

Warmest regards,

Jenna
*Jenna Nemec-Loise, MLIS*
(She/Her/Hers)
Director of Library and Information Literacy
North Shore Country Day School <https://www.nscds.org/>
310 Green Bay Road | Winnetka, IL 60093
(847) 881-8803 | jnemecloise at nscds.org

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 2:50 PM Benjamin Conrad via AISLE <