[aisle] Copyright and movies during Remote Learning

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Mon Aug 17 11:38:50 CDT 2020

Beverly - this is really helpful - thanks for sharing!

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:58 AM Beverly Zbinden via AISLE <

> I found this resource recently:
> https://guides.uflib.ufl.edu/copyright/video
> According to this information you would not be able to upload entire
> movies/videos to Google classroom.
> Beverly Zbinden
> Head Librarian @ Niles North High School
> 9800 N. Lawler Avenue
> Skokie, IL 60077
> (847)626-2183
>
> "What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
> about education."
>   - Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education
>

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:54 AM Pippin, Elizabeth via AISLE <
>
>> Someone else might have a different experience but my understanding is
>> that this is a highly complex situation. Mainly it somewhat comes down to
>> how was this teacher planning on sharing this film? Are they streaming it
>> from a personal account such as Netflix or Hulu? If so the answer is that
>> it would be violating copyright. One way around that would be for the
>> teacher to say we are going to be discussing this movie watch it and here
>> are some ways to access it. However, even with that option there is an
>> assumption that all students will be able to access the film.
>>
>> As I mentioned, someone else might have a better understanding, but
>> overall my understanding is that streaming a video online for a class has a
>> very narrow window of what allows it to be legal.

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School