[aisle] HS World Lit Novels

Lauren Ochs lochs at ms.k12.il.us
Tue Dec 15 09:42:07 CST 2020

Hi all,

I had a few people send me lists of items used in their schools for world
literature choices. We are leaning toward a loose definition of world
literature and more toward literature about a culture or experience outside
of your own and some of the lists sent to me were following that
definition, as well . Here is the list that I compiled from the
suggestions. Thank you to anyone who sent suggestions!
Title Author More than one Suggestion
All We Have Left Mills, Wendy
The Bitter Side of Sweet Sullivan, Tara x
The Book Thief Zusak, Markus
How Dare the Sun Rise Uwiringiyimana, Sandra
Just Mercy Stevenson, Bryan
Love Hate and Other Filters Ahmed, Samira
Never Fall Down McCormick, Patricia
Stamped Reynolds, Jason and Ibram X. Kendi
They Called Us Enemy Takei, George
White Bird Palacio, R.J.
When Morning Comes Raina, Arushi x
American Street Zoboi, Ibi
The Black Flamingo Atta, Dean
The Cat King of Havana Crosshill, Tom
City of Saints and Thieves Anderson, Natalie C. x
Clap When You Land Acevedo, Elizabeth
Darius the Great Is Not Okay Khorram, Adib x
Disappeared Stork, Francisco X. x
Dreams of Significant Girls Garcia, Cristina
Golden Boy Sullivan, Tara
If You Could Be Mine Farizan, Sara
I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter Sanchez, Erika L.
The Lines We Cross Abdal-Fatta, Randa
Patron Saints of Nothing Ribay, Randy x
Saints and Misfits Ali, S.K.
Salt to the Sea Sepetys, Ruta
The Tyrant's Daughter Carleson, J.C.
A Very Large Expanse of Sea Mafi, Tahereh
Words in Deep Blue Crowley, Cath
When Dimple Met Rishi Menon, Sandhya
Written in the Stars Saeed, Aisha
You Bring the Distant Near Perkins, Mitali x
The Surrender Tree Engle, Margarita
Shabanu Staples, Suzanne Fisher
The Sun is Also a Star Yoon, Nicola
The Queen of Water Resau, Laura and Maria Farinango
When Stars are Scattered Mohamed, Omar and Victoria Jamieson
Everything Sad is Untrue Nayeri, Daniel
Purple Hibiscus Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi
In the Time of Butterflies Alvarez, Julia
Sister of My Heart Divakaruni, Chitra Banerjee
Oedipus Sophocles
A Doll's House Ibsen, Herik
Children of Blood and Bone Adeyemi, Tomi
The Astonishing Color of After Pan, Emily X.R.
Between Shades of Gray Sepetys, Ruta
Underneath the Baobab Tree Nwaubani, Adoabi Tricia
Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman's Awakening al-Sharif, Manal
Playing for the Devil's Fire Diederich, Phillipe
The Girl Who Smiled Beads Wamariya, Clemantina
Homegoing Gyasi, Yaa
A Place for Us Mirza, Fatima
My (Underground) American Dream Arce, Julissa
Refugee Gratz, Alan x

*Lauren Ochs *
School Librarian
Mahomet-Seymour High School
lochs at ms.k12.il.us

--
_Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachment thereto is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic