[aisle] How to structure checkout time?

Elena Menicocci emenicocci at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 10:42:02 CST 2020

Hi All,

After years of being a librarian one thing still bothers me and I would
love ideas on how to better it. Checkout time. I was wondering if anyone
has ideas on how to give a little more structure to an unstructured time.

Normally my 3rd-5th graders have 15-20 minutes to look for books. In that
time I am doing reader's advisory, looking for books and checking in/out
books so I'm pulled in all directions. You know the drill some students
checkout fast and some don't checkout for various reasons....and telling
them to read quietly while there is so much activity isn't realistic.

I want to make that time just a little more meaningful while I am assisting
others. But what?

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Elena