[aisle] Technology Budhet

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Tue Jan 14 12:53:36 CST 2020

I have Merge Cubs and Merge headsets (which are awesome for check-out since
they are practically unbreakable!).  Both of these make great check-out
items.  And they are an easy introduction to VR without spending a lot of
money.

I've also used Ozobots extensively in library classes, but they are
pricey.  I've also used a pair of Botley robots. Our Makerspace provides
Makey Makeys, Dash & Dot, Cubelets, and other robotics.

I've done greenscreen in library and the only thing I REALLY needed was the
green background (I bought felt at Hobby Lobby...works great) and having a
small adjustable table is super handy for placing Chromebooks (we film with
the Chromebook camera, but it isn't easy to hold a Chromebook in order to
film). We had WeVideo (which we LOVED), but they raised their prices
significantly, so we are back to DoInk.  Looking for a new product that
works on Chromebooks...

If you want to contact me off-list, please do!

Michelle Harris
harrism at husd4.org

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:54 AM Melissa Reece via AISLE <

> Hello,
>
> I am a prospective librarian looking for suggestions and guidance on how
> to spend a technology budget.  Our elementary school is allocated $800 for
> technology.  To provide some background, we are currently 1:1 in most grade
> levels.  We have older iPad's and Chromebooks available for checkout for
> those that are not 1:1.  I would like to offer more opportunities for
> teachers to check out various types of technology (perhaps I'll call it
> "Tech it Out").  One idea I am considering is VR.
>
> For those that are experienced with VR, I am looking for recommendations
> on devices.  A couple questions I have include:
>
> 1) Do I purchase full headsets or viewers that can be used with other
> devices?
> 2) What VR technology do you have in your school, and what do you think
> about it?
>
> I am also considering green screen kits and eventually coding robots.
>
> I would appreciate any input that you can offer.
>
> Have a great day,
> Melissa

Michelle Harris
District Librarian