[aisle] How to structure checkout time?

Stephanie Stieglitz sstieglitz at d181.org
Tue Jan 14 13:03:10 CST 2020

I had been to a workshop that explained how to create a LEGO wall and a
huge lightbright. I was so excited to come back and get started. Then I
thought about it some more. Was playing with LEGOs what I wanted
students doing in the library? My time is spent similar to Michelle, after
students check out they get the gift of time to read their books. Students
that aren't checking out can read a magazine or a book from a display. They
can sit anywhere and can talk quietly as long as they are talking about
books.

Stephanie

Stephanie Stieglitz
Teacher-Librarian, The Lane
500 N. Elm St.
Hinsdale, IL 60521
MRC Website <https://sites.google.com/a/d181.org/lanemrc/>

"Every reading experience has value." Donalyn Miller
<https://bookwhisperer.com/2014/08/12/the-40-book-challenge-revisited/>

"*I don't believe that libraries should be drab places, where people sit in
silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild
animals as librarians.*" - Monty Python's Flying Circus, series one, show 10

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:43 PM Michelle Harris via AISLE <

> I have had success with allowing kids to sit ANYWHERE in the room for
> Silent Reading after checkout. (If they are NOT checking out a book--forgot
> to return theirs, didn't bring one to read, etc.)  I have a pile of picture
> books for older readers that they can choose from.)  Kids sit in the
> storypit, under tables, tucked into corners all over the place.  As long as
> they are quiet and reading something, it's all good. I'll sometimes have a
> student who can't handle it and he/she has to sit at the table next to the
> circulation desk (o horrors!) near me. Once they get used to it, students
> really appreciate having a time when they can read without interruption for
> a sustained period of time.  If I finish at the circ desk, I join them by
> picking up a book and reading.  (Trying to be that good example!)  Of
> course, some classes are more successful than others...but I just keep
> setting the expectation. If they have done well for many weeks in a row, we
> reward with bookmarks, an ebook playing on the screen, me coming around to
> chat to individuals about their books, etc.
>
> Michelle Harris
> Heyworth CUSD #4
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:42 AM Elena Menicocci via AISLE <
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After years of being a librarian one thing still bothers me and I would
>> love ideas on how to better it. Checkout time. I was wondering if anyone
>> has ideas on how to give a little more structure to an unstructured time.
>>
>> Normally my 3rd-5th graders have 15-20 minutes to look for books. In that
>> time I am doing reader's advisory, looking for books and checking in/out
>> books so I'm pulled in all directions. You know the drill some students
>> checkout fast and some don't checkout for various reasons....and telling
>> them to read quietly while there is so much activity isn't realistic.
>>
>> I want to make that time just a little more meaningful while I am
>> assisting others. But what?
>>
>> Any ideas are much appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Elena
>>
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/
>

> --
> Michelle Harris
> District Librarian
> Heyworth CUSD #4

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public records
law. Most written communications (including email) to or from school
district officials and staff are public records available to the public and
media upon request. Your email communications may therefore be subject to
public disclosure. Community Consolidated School District 181