[aisle] How to structure checkout time?

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Thu Jan 16 10:32:12 CST 2020

I have found that setting up the circulation desk for self check in and out
allows me a lot more time for readers' advisory and reinforcing library
skills. You will always have issues when kids don't check in properly and
are blocked from checking out, or didn't bring their books back so are over
the limit, but once they realize that doing those things correctly makes
things easier and gives them more autonomy, things work much better. This
year we've had some technical issues that have kept us at the desk much
more than I'd like, but once set up it does work well! Even my
kindergarteners get the hang of it by this time of year.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:42 AM Elena Menicocci via AISLE <

> Hi All,
>
> After years of being a librarian one thing still bothers me and I would
> love ideas on how to better it. Checkout time. I was wondering if anyone
> has ideas on how to give a little more structure to an unstructured time.
>
> Normally my 3rd-5th graders have 15-20 minutes to look for books. In that
> time I am doing reader's advisory, looking for books and checking in/out
> books so I'm pulled in all directions. You know the drill some students
> checkout fast and some don't checkout for various reasons....and telling
> them to read quietly while there is so much activity isn't realistic.
>
> I want to make that time just a little more meaningful while I am
> assisting others. But what?
>
> Any ideas are much appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Elena

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School