[aisle] [External] Re: Database Lesson Ideas

Rademacher, Kristen rademacher.kristen at marist.net
Wed Jan 29 11:30:31 CST 2020

I can’t wait for any new suggestions as I am always looking for good ideas. I will say that I make sure I teach these skills only in conjunction with a real project they already have to do. Meaning, the teaching has immediate, real world application. I also have kids practice what I’m mentoring in different ways depending on year level.

I teach 9-12 so my freshmen likely never had to do this before. I break it down so they tackle each area I demonstrate almost right away. I show them how to access the database and a few basic search strategies, they try it out with their topics. I then model the next step of how to share info with themselves (or each other if it’s a group thing) and how to get the citation. Then they do this with anything they just found. This lessens the lecture aspect and has them actively searching their actual homework.

Sophomores are structured over a few days. We focus heavily on generating strong questions (they have a worksheet/organizer), they get a review of databases, books and other resources and best practices while practicing strategies in class with me to help if there is confusion. And I meet with them to go over final works cited docs towards the end of the project.

Juniors have me for various projects and we do a version of what is done sophomore year but more as review and with candy prizes, usually Smarties. They also start getting lessons on great cheats and assistance using Google. We go much more in-depth on keywords, synonyms, thinking like a researcher and more scholarly sources as they start prepping for college.

Seniors is an overview of junior year with just more opportunities to practice and perfect what they’ve learned already.

All the above works ideally 70% percent of the time. We have transfers who are new to this. We have kids who just tune you out no matter what. And there are differing learning abilities as well. So I still spend plenty of time, especially Spring semester, doing one-on-one research help as well as holding in some exasperation at the kids who come to the library as seniors apparently clueless about any research.

As I said, I too would love anyone else’s guidance or suggestions to improve. If I’m bored, they definitely are!

Kristen Rademacher
Librarian
1 Book 1 Marist Director
Marist High School<http://www.marist.net/academics/arclibrary/>