[aisle] School Reopening Guidelines and AISLE Advocacy Efforts

President AISLE president at aisled.org
Fri Jul 3 12:07:57 CDT 2020

Statement to Members- Re ISBE Re-Opening Guidelines - July 2020

Last week ISBE issued the guidelines for opening schools this fall. As a
profession, we were disappointed by how school libraries were addressed.
Impending budget cuts, pandemic guidelines, ignorance, and apathy are all
working against us.  It’s easy to feel like we are drowning.

Now, more than ever, advocacy matters. It is important to be proactive
rather than reactive in a time like this. The AISLE Board will advocate for
school librarians in Illinois at the state level, but each school librarian
must also advocate locally for their position and the significance of their
program. Well-worded official statements from the Board might make a
ripple. What we need is a tsunami. Competing voices, the economic impact of
the pandemic, and multiple other factors make it much more difficult for
our message to reach necessary ears. But your voices-- joined with the
voices of your colleagues, your students, your parents, and your
communities and anyone else you can get on board-- can have an impact. Each
and every one of us needs to marshal all of the resources at our disposal
and advocate for ourselves and ask others to join us. And, we need to do
this not just once- but constantly.

What does this look like?

   -

   Go to your Board meeting and log in and speak during "public comment."
   Speak about what you do in your libraries--be ready with a presentation:
   circulation stats, testimonials, a book talk or two...engage them and
   remind them of your importance in the school.
   -

   Make an appointment with your Teachers' Association President and
   Superintendent--speak specifically to your contributions to the District.
   -

   Ask for video testimonials from students who are alums or from current
   students.
   -

   Find four or five teachers and ask them to do video testimonials
   -

   Send stories about library programs and activities to your local paper

Those are just a few ideas to get you started. AISLE is committed to
advocating for school library programs and staff. Attached, please find an
open letter to ISBE regarding their current guidelines. We will soon
release a letter template that you can personalize and send to your
administration. We will be announcing continuing advocacy efforts and
professional development opportunities to build your skills as a self-
advocate as the year progresses.  As these future advocacy programs are
announced at local, state, and national levels, we need your participation.

Please, find your voice. Actively look for opportunities to enlist others
to support your library program.  Spread the message far and wide that what
we do makes a difference in students’ lives. It’s time to make waves.

Sincerely,

The AISLE Board of Directors

*Christy Semande*
*President 2020-2021*