[aisle] Chromebook and backpack questions

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Tue Jul 7 15:20:11 CDT 2020

Our students do not keep Chromebooks in backpacks (lots of broken screens
that way...especially if books are piled on top. Chromebook lids are,
unfortunately, rather flexible!) but we do provide an inexpensive case with
a handle. We do not, however, ever provide a replacement case, so if a
student trashes it, s/he is required to buy a replacement either from us,
Amazon, Best Buy, WalMart, etc.

5th-12th take their Chromebooks home daily and are responsible for bringing
them to school daily charged up and ready to go. We DO allow them to bring
their cords to school, too, but the Library will also provide charging if
needed. We quickly learned NOT to loan cords. No one ever wants to return
them and we spent WAY too much money trying to keep a good supply in stock.
Now we have a charging station and have cords for each model. We can charge
up three at at time and we have 3 different models, so our charging station
holds up to 9 machines.  Students put their names on everything and
Chromebooks are barcoded and checked out through the library. The library
does have a small number of "day-loaner" devices available, but students
should not count on being able to borrow one because they go out quite
quickly and when they are gone, they are gone. No one is allowed to take a
day-loaner home. Many of our teachers now assign consequences for not
having Chromebooks.  Once that expectation was kindly but firmly set, we
experienced MANY fewer "I forgot mine at home" excuses.

Our K-3rd students, (or anyone who is moving a Chromebook through the halls
without a case) use the "pizzabox" method to carry.  Pretend you are
carrying a pizzabox: two hands firmly holding it with thumbs on the lid
which is closed.  Keep it horizontal so that the cheese doesn't slide off!

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD #4

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 6:28 AM Kathy Wickline via AISLE <

> Dear All,
> This year we will be providing each student with a chromebook, so we are
> trying to work details out.  Here are our questions:
> 1.  Do you allow chromebooks to go home each night?
> 2.  How do students transport their chromebooks from classroom to
> classroom?
> 3.  If you don't let the chromebooks go home, what are your procedures for
> getting them out in the morning and putting them away at the end of the day?
> 4.  We have never allowed backpacks in the classroom because of space, but
> now we want to limit the time in the halls, so any suggestions on backpacks
> in the classrooms?
>
> Thanks for all your answers!
> Kathy Wickline
> Unity Junior High Librarian