[aisle] Uplifting Short Stories for reading level 1-6

Nichole Folkman nfolkman at hartem.org
Tue Jul 21 17:45:36 CDT 2020

I really like the *Women in Sports*, *Women in Arts*, etc books by Rachel
Ignotofsky. I personally read one profile a day and think it's really
interesting and rewarding. Really any kind of books with short profiles of
amazing people. In particular, maybe ones about people with disabilities
might be good. (Does anyone have a good suggestion for this, particularly?
I'd love to hear it!) *Little Legends, Little Dreamers, Little Leaders,*
etc by Vashti Harrison are great. I just got a couple the other day from
First Book called *Who Did It First *by Julie Leung and *Black Music Greats*
by Olivier Cachin. Haven't read either of those yet, but they look awesome.
I just love short amazing, inspiring non-fiction profiles, I guess. (And
these are all also beautifully illustrated.)

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Karrie Fisher via AISLE <

> While these books are non-fiction and biographies, they are well written,
> engaging, and fun.  I recommend the Who Was /Where Is / Who Is / What is...
> series.
>
> Happily Ever After,
>
> Karrie Fisher
> LMC Director
> Teacher Librarian
>
> *Click HERE <http://district31.follettdestiny.com> for the Winkelman
> Library Card Catalog*
>
> Winkelman School
> 1919 Landwehr Road
> Glenview, IL  60026
> 847-729-5650
> 847-729-5654
>

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:31 PM Kate Rogers via AISLE <
>
>> Hi, librarians,
>>
>> One of my special ed teachers wants read-alouds of *short stories* for
>> her high school students who read from *1st-6th grade reading levels*.
>>
>> This could include *picture books* and *books of short stories*. Quite
>> frankly, it could be anything I could get my hands on physically or
>> digitally.
>>
>> She is teaching psychology and wants these stories to be *"good for
>> students' souls -- positive and motivating, light and uplifting."*
>>
>> I know such stories abound. I'm curious, what are some of your favorites?
>> Bonus points if they represent diverse voices!
>>
>> Thanks so much! I hoped this would be a *fun* request for many as there
>> isn't all that much fun in my inbox these days!
>>
>> Hope everyone is well!
>> Kate Rogers
>>
>> --
>> Kate Rogers