[aisle] Uplifting Short Stories for reading level 1-6

Emily Conradt EConradt at scpld.org
Wed Jul 22 10:45:21 CDT 2020

Hi, Kate,

Many of these have diverse authors, illustrators, starring characters. Hopefully I get enough bonus points for the first prize level.

My favorite uplifting picture books are:
The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson
After the Fall by Dan Santat

These first two I would take adults aside and read them the whole book in the stacks, often with both of us tearing up. Sometimes kids are confused by the reveal at the end of After the Fall and misunderstand at first, so it may take a little discussion. Actually, I think from Amazon reviews, some adults were confused, too. It took me a minute to get it myself.

The Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls collection is wonderful.

Also great:
The Red Tree by Shaun Tan
Drawn Together by Minh LĂȘ
Scrawny Cat by Phyllis Root

Explicitly written to be encouraging, and well done, but these are not exactly stories as such:
I Will Be Fierce by Bea Birdsong
Black is a Rainbow Color by Angela Joy
I Am Enough by Grace Byers
The Magical Yet by Angela DiTerlizzi (gorgeous illustrations, about the growth mindset)
I'm Gonna Push Through by Jasmyn Wright

Maybes:
Hello Goodbye Dog by Maria Gianferrari
Ruby Finds a Worry by Tom Percival
What Do You Do with a Problem by Kobi Yamada (and the other picture books in this series)
Because by Mo Willems

P.S. - Speaking of diverse creators, I love showing an image of diverse creators when I do read-alouds and giving a little spiel about their careers.

Emily Conradt (she/her)
Preschool Outreach Librarian
econradt at scpld.org<mailto:econradt at scpld.org>
Direct: (630)413-0425

The St. Charles Public Library is open for Grab & Go and Pickup Services! To schedule your appointment, please call 630-584-0076, text 630-998-7275 or Live-Chat<https://www.scpld.org/live-chat>. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time. For more information regarding the services available, the safety precautions in place and any other updates and announcements visit our website, www.scpld.org<http://www.scpld.org/>, or our social media channels.

PLEASE NOTE: Pursuant to Illinois State Law, e-mail communication to and from this address may be subject to public disclosure.

St. Charles Public Library District
305 S. 9th Street
St. Charles, IL 60174
(630)584-0076