[aisle] AISLE--Exemplary School Library Award

Tedesco, Melissa tedescom at oths.us
Tue Jun 2 11:18:12 CDT 2020

What a school year! Whether you were originally planning to apply for the Exemplary School Library Award or are just now considering it, now might be the perfect time to apply!

Why?

  *   The deadline has been extended to June 30th. You and your administration *might* be better able to coordinate now.
  *   A combination of traditional and remote learning provided an opportunity for librarians to show just how vital and exemplary we are, so you will have even more evidence to supply the Examples of Evidence forms.
     *   During remote learning, did you support a flexible library schedule that met the instructional needs of students, faculty, or staff? You met PI.A.1!!!
     *   During remote learning, did you invest in new school library resources to support student learning and growth? You met LE.A.2!!!

REMINDERS: To be eligible for the award, the school library must meet the following criteria:

  *   Have a full-time licensed school librarian who is a member of AISLE.
  *   Have a dedicated school library budget some of which must come from the district.
  *   The school library has NOT received the award within the last three years.

Deadline for AISLE Exemplary School Library Award Extended until June 30th!

Keep reading for Getting Started Steps and FAQs!

GETTING STARTED STEPS:
Below is a more comprehensive FAQ section, but one question many librarians have is where to start. Take these three concrete steps today, and you will be well on your way to completing the application:

  1.  Download and read through the four application forms.  https://www.aisled.org/exemplary.php
AISLE - Exemplary School Library Award<https://www.aisled.org/exemplary.php>
Established in 2018, the AISLE Exemplary School Library Award recognizes school libraries throughout the state of Illinois that exemplify the standards set forth in Linking for Learning. This award is presented to a school library in public, private, or charter schools and is not intended to recognize districts or individual librarians.
www.aisled.org
  2.  Identify the administrator(s) (building principal, Curriculum and Instruction admin, etc.) you will be partnering with to apply for the award and email them to notify them about the award and your plan to complete the application by June 30th.
  3.  Locate your most recent evaluation document (binder, folder, cloud doc) and review the evidence you already collected to complete your most recent evaluations. Start filling out the Examples of Evidence form using the evidence you have already collected and then move on from there. (This last step is just a suggestion. You could identify your evidence however you'd like. It does not have to be part of a formal evaluation.)

FAQs:

  *   Question: Do applicants need to fill out the Evaluation Tool form or is it just a rubric that is being used to evaluate applicants?
     *   Answer: Yes, you do need to fill it out. Simply put an X for each standard in the category you believe you will score (Exemplary, Proficient, Basic, Needs Improvement) and fill out the reflection or comments for each section. You may write "See Examples of Evidence Form" as is appropriate. And yes, the committee will be using the same Evaluation Tool to score each applicant.
  *   Question: Do I need to put links to the same evidence from the Examples of Evidence Form on the Evaluation Tool?
     *   Answer: No. See answer above.
  *   Question: Can I use the same evidence for different standards?
     *   Answer: Yes. If you believe the same evidence will best exemplify those standards, you can use the same evidence more than once.
  *   Question: Do I have to fill out the Examples of Evidence Forms within the original PDF? My photos won't fit and my link won't hyperlink. Can I copy the form into Word and then save as a PDF if I keep all the formatting and order the same?
     *   Answer: Yes. As long as the integrity of the form is kept and the final uploaded document is a PDF, you can fill it out in the form that works best for you.
  *   Question: What evidence would work for ... standard?
     *   Answer: See Linking for Learning 4th Edition 2018 pages 97-102, “AISLE Illinois School Library Standards Examples of Evidence Checklist” for ideas.

Please reply to the School Recognition Email address included in the CC if you have any other questions.

Melissa Tedesco

O'Fallon Township High School

Milburn IMC C​oordinator & Information Literacy Instructor

(618) 622-9647 x 642      tedescom at oths.us<mailto:tedescom at oths.us>

Currently Reading:

[Book Cover]<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/3565170?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>

<mailto:tedescom at oths.us>