[aisle] Looking for ideas...

Sullivan, Kathy ksullivan at princeville326.org
Wed Mar 4 15:43:50 CST 2020

Margo,

     As you surely know, your teachers will respond to your presentation
more if you include charts, graphs, and/or stats delineating the powerful
connection between reading time/library time and improved student
performance.
     When our school was remodeled, the board moved the library out from
the center of the school into a SMALLER (!!) space at the very edge of the
building. (I was not thrilled!)
     However, I determined to make our new library a dynamic space, and it
has paid off.
    Now, our teachers bring their students into the library to do research,
both online and using books. (Wr're 1:1 fyi.)They know and instill in their
students that research via books will be important in college. Plus such
research takes greater effort, thus is more mentally engaging.
     Others bring their English or Social Studies classes in when they need
space to spread out while forming group discussions or doing a big project.
     Also, I coordinate displays with various class projects when possible
and/or assemble book collections (i.e. poetry) for teachers to use in their
classrooms for certain units.
       Only 6th graders are brought in for weekly book check outs (we're a
6-12 bldg.), but I always have something enticing in the library to attract
kids of all ages during lunch, recess or homeroom when they can come on
freely. Plus, I include "fun facts" around the library about the teachers,
our school, or other fascinating things that draw everyone's interest. (For
"Favorites February" it was simply a vote on "best" candy. I asked
teachers/staff for their fave, & posted their pix on a heart w the candy
image. Kids LOVED voting& seeing their teachers' choices lol.)
     Of course, we have a section of "fun books" (Guinness World Records,
Ripley's, comics, mazes, etc.) for auper-light reading/relaxation and comfy
saucer chairs nearby.
     Finally, we offer STEAM activity sessions during homeroom (by grade
level) here & there and game days (by grade) once a semester, in addition
to our Reading Contest and an 8th Book Club.
    Some of these may sound silly, & they all take work. (Thank God for HS
volunteers!) However, our library IS a dynamic space that people make an
effort to visit, circulation keeps climbing, and even total non-readers
have a very favorable attitude to the space. I'm so thankful!
:) Kathy

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 2:51 PM Margo Newtown via AISLE <