[aisle] What are colleges using

Sarah Hill gsarahthelibrarian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:01:28 CST 2020

Lake Land College still uses Office 2016.  Most of our faculty don't know
much about the Google suite of products, but our students come from high
schools with Google Chromebooks.   Students have a big learning curve when
they come here because teachers assume they know how to use Office
products, but they have no idea and aren't very good at adjusting.

Just this week I had to show a student how to save a Google doc as a .doc
so they could upload it into Canvas.  There is the same learning curve with
area high schoolers who are from Mac schools--they sometimes don't know how
to export their Pages documents.  Most of our faculty only want Office docs
or PDFs submitted to their online course.

I've also found that simple universal "tricks" like Control-F and Control-2
are new to my students.

Sarah Hill, Information Services Librarian
Lake Land College, Mattoon, Illinois
2021 RUSA Listen List Council Chair
YALSA President, 2016-2017
Twitter @glibrarian

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:41 PM Barb Miller via AISLE <

> Moraine Valley Community College is using Microsoft Office 365.
>
> Barb Miller
> Learning Resource Center Facilitator
> Troy Community Consolidated School District 30C
>

> *“What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it feels
> about education.” Harold Howe*
>

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:37 PM Kathy Wickline via AISLE <
>
>> Dear All,
>> I know this might be a little out of our realm, but are colleges using
>> Microsoft Office 365, Google Suite, or just Microsoft Office installed on
>> the machine?  We want to be teaching our students whatever works best for
>> their future.
>> Kathy Wickline
>> Unity Junior High Librarian
>> Tolono, IL
>> wicklinek at unity.k12.il.us
>>
>> Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ujhslibrary
>>

>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/

> This electronic message (and any associated file
> attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual
> or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
> confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
> printing, copying, or other distribution of this message is
> strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
> please promptly delete this message and notify the sender
> by e-mail.

Sent from Gmail Mobile