[aisle] Media Literacy Lesson

Novak, Julie P novakj at newtrier.k12.il.us
Thu Mar 19 20:49:15 CDT 2020

News Literacy Project has some Coronavirus misinformation resources too. See the links at the end of this page:

https://newslit.org/coronavirus/?utm_source=COVID-19+press+release&utm_medium=email&emci=39362c11-d667-ea11-a94c-00155d03b5dd&emdi=1dc04097-4869-ea11-a94c-00155d03b5dd&ceid=2591336

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 19, 2020, at 10:35 AM, Neha Thakkar via AISLE <aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL: This email originated outside of the district's network. Do not open attachments or click links unless you are certain this email comes from a trusted sender.
Hi all!

In this crazy era of not just a LOT of news, but of course, misinformation as well, I'd like to share a real-life lesson. My father-in-law sent a family group text with the info (screenshots attached). Go read the medialit 1 and 2 please. =)

Read them? Ok...I showed them to 4th and asked them to read it. Immediately, many started taking deep breaths, "checking" if they had it. Then I showed the other message, and a lot of them got thirsty right away!

I think a good lesson would be to discuss how to read a message like this, break down the fallacies, how to respond to these messages, and have them write a message back to a friend using https://ifaketextmessage.com/. (I attached my "text example". Who else would check her sources BUT Hermione :o).

Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Neha Thakkar   M.Ed, MLIS
nehathakkar114 at gmail.com<mailto:nehathakkar114 at gmail.com>