[aisle] [External] book award questions

Leslie Forsman via AISLE aisle at list.railslibraries.info
Tue Mar 24 13:06:12 CDT 2020

Just a little more filling in...The Rebecca Caudill Young Readers'
Book Award has been around for almost 30 years now.  They started with and
have always been a 4-8 award.  I don't know how that grade level choice was
made, but that is their spot.

About 10 (+/-) years ago, at an ISLMA (at that time) Past Presidents get
together, people at the primary level and people at the high school
level both came up with the same thought--why not create an award for their
readers (K-3 and 9-12)?  So they did: The Monarch and The Lincoln.

A few years later another idea was brought forward, with basically what you
and Sharon have noted, could there be an award for those readers that are
more advanced than the Monarch titles, but not ready for the Caudill list?
That's where the Bluestem Award filled in.

(Note that Monarchs, Bluestem (prairie grass) and Lincoln are all Illinois
state symbols.)

We have talked about creating additional awards (graphic novels, early
childhood, etc.) but that is simply not feasible at this time.

Libraries are encouraged to register with and participate in any and all of
the lists as they apply to your patrons.  The grade levels
are suggestions but only the patrons in those grade levels can vote on
those awards.    Third graders can vote for both the Monarchs and the
Bluestems, fourth and fifth graders can vote for both the Blustems and the
Caudills (assuming they have read/heard enough to qualify).

I hope that answer questions about the Readers' Choice Awards.  You never
know until you ask...

Leslie Forsman
AISLE Readers' Choice function rep

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:43 AM Katherine Contreras via AISLE <

> Rather than hijacking yesterday's thread, I thought I'd start my own to
> ask about the Illinois book awards and your own school book awards.  From
> what I can tell, we have:
>
> Monarch - K-3
> Bluestem - 3-5
> Caudill - 4-8
> Lincoln - 9-12
>
> I've always been middle school (6-8), so my experience comes from the
> Caudill list.  I enjoy the titles on the list, but what I recommend to my
> sixth graders is often very different from what I recommend to my eighth
> graders.  The number of books that are classified as grades 4-8 is slim.
> There seems to be something dark and twisty that happens between these
> grades!
>
> *Does anyone know of specific reasons for the overlaps or how the grade
> levels were selected?  *
> *Does anyone offer a book award customized to their school and/or grade
> levels?*
>
> Mrs. Katie Contreras
> School Librarian
> Emerson Middle School
> Park Ridge-Niles SD 64
>

> ------------------------------
> This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the
> addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or
> confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
> e-mail (or the person responsible for delivering this document to the
> intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution, printing or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments
> thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please respond to the individual sending the message, permanently delete
> the original and any copy of this e-mail, attachment, and any printout
> thereof.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

*Leslie Forsman*
*Pre-K through12th grade Librarian*
*Education to Careers Instructor*
*Quest Instructor*
*Triopia CUSD #27*
*2204 Concord Arenzville Road*
*Concord  IL  62631*
*217-457-2281, x1033*
*lforsman at triopiacusd27.org <lforsman at triopiacusd27.org>*
*"Hey, you live where the books are!" *
*(from a preK student who saw me outside of school).*