[aisle] Reading Aloud in Online Settings - Ethical Use of Ideas and Information

Moreillon, Judith Lynn jlmore at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 31 19:11:56 CDT 2020

Dear AISLE Colleagues,
As someone who has been a member of the school librarian profession for thirty years and a children’s books author and copyright holder, I find it disturbing that members of our profession would be overjoyed about information that includes: “We do NOT need any sort of permission from publishers to do this. Period. We are covered by Fair Use no matter what ‘limitations’ or ‘licensing’ publishers have in place.”
The best practice of putting our homemade recordings behind password protection has always been an application of fair use. This is nothing new.
But ignoring the exclusive rights of copyright holders… just because you won’t be sued or won’t lose a lawsuit… strikes me as not the point.
The point is to uphold the standards of our profession. Below are some student and educator/librarian standards from our education and library profession that it seems to me we are casting aside without a good reason when authors, illustrators, and publishers are making read-alouds and other literature-based activities freely available for our use during the pandemic.
For more on my perspective, I, once again, offer you another view in my 3/30/20 blog post: “Applying Fair Use AND Honoring Copyright During a Crisis”
I repeat my invitation to work together to come up with long-term solutions that allow us to connect with our library stakeholders electronically and still honor the intellectual property rights of creators.

Will you add your ideas on my blog? Thank you. https://tinyurl.com/sllblog033020
Most sincerely,
Judi Moreillon, M.L.S., Ph.D.
AASL Standards for Learners
“Engage: Demonstrate safe, legal, and ethical creating and sharing of knowledge products independently while engaging in a community of practice and an interconnected world” (AASL, 2018, 39).
I-SAIL Standard for Students
“Standard 3: Use information accurately, creatively, and ethically to share knowledge and to participate collaboratively and productively as a member of a democratic society
Organize information for practical application” (AISLE 2018).

Illinois Professional Teaching Standards
“Standard 9 - Professionalism, Leadership, and Advocacy – The competent teacher is an ethical and reflective practitioner who exhibits professionalism; provides leadership in the learning community; and advocates for students, parents or guardians, and the profession” (IPTS 2013, 7).

ALA/AASL/CAEP School Librarian Preparation Standards
“4. Candidates in school librarian preparation programs model, facilitate, and advocate for equitable access to and the ethical use of resources in a variety of formats” (AASL 2019, 5).
ALA Code of Ethics
“IV. We respect intellectual property rights and advocate balance between the interests of information users and rights holders” (ALA 2008).
Association for Library Services to Children: Competencies for Librarians Serving Children in Public Libraries
“VII. Professionalism and Professional Development
6.           Knows and practices the ALA’s Code of Ethics” (ALSC 2015).
Teen Services Competencies for Library Staff
“Continuous Learning: Acts ethically, is committed to continuous learning, and advocates for best library practices and policies for teen services” (YALSA 2010).

Judi Moreillon, M.L.S., Ph.D.
Literacies and Libraries Consultant
Adjunct Associate Professor, iSchool, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Co-Chair, Teacher Librarian Division, Arizona Library Association
2019 Scholastic Library Publishing Award

Author:
Maximizing School Librarian Leadership: Building Connections for Learning and Advocacy (ALA, 2018)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Elementary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2013)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Secondary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2012)

Please, Don’t Give Me A Hug!/Por favor, íno me abraces! (2019)
Ready and Waiting for You (2013)
Read to Me/Vamos a leer (2004)
Sing Down the Rain (1997)

http://storytrail.com<http://storytrail.com/>