[aisle] overdrive and schools

Catherine Gottlieb cgottlieb at Naperville203.org
Mon May 4 11:15:54 CDT 2020

The Sora app is available in the Google Play store.  Our Chromebooks are locked down, and students can’t download apps from the Play store.  Our tech people pushed the app to all of the student Chromebooks.  Students can also read in their browser without the app, on the Sora website.  Once in Sora, students can connect to their public library in addition to their school library.  It does not appear that they can do the reverse – find their school from the Libby app.  OverDrive is facilitating direct connections between some districts and their local public libraries.  This has not worked for us because we have about 20% of students who live out of the public library district and/or in neighboring towns.

FYI, students can also connect to the SYNC Audiobook library in Sora to get 2 free audiobooks from SYNC from April 30 – July 29th.  https://www.audiobooksync.com/

Cathy Gottlieb
NCHS Learning Commons Director
NCHS Webmaster
630-420-6549
Currently Reading<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/9394998?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[Book Cover]<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/9394998?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
[Goodreads Logo] <https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature> Get your own email signature<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>

From: AISLE <aisle-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> On Behalf Of Kulesza, Patti via AISLE
Sent: Monday, May 4, 2020 10:55 AM
To: AISLE-Share: Association of Illinois School Library Educators discussion list <aisle at list.railslibraries.info>
Cc: Kulesza, Patti <pkulesza at d88a.org>
Subject: [aisle] overdrive and schools

CAUTION: This e-mail originated outside of Naperville 203. DO NOT click links or open attachments unless you confirm the incoming address of the sender and know the content is safe.

Good morning!  I recently did a webinar with overdrive and their app called SORA.  I was wondering per a post I had seen recently here,  if there is an issue with overdrive through the public library in regards to reading ebooks through the overdrive platform on chromebooks.  Our students have been supplied chromebooks and I am interested in hooking this sora and overdrive up but don't know how it works with chrome books.  I did call the Overdrive rep but wanted to hear your experiences as well!  Thanks!
Patty K.

--
Patty Kulesza
Media Director

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information that is protected by law. The information contained herein is transmitted for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient or designated agent of the recipient of such information, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this email or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited and may subject you to penalties under federal and/or state law. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this email. We may monitor email to and from our network.