[aisle] What will library look like in Fall

Leslie Compere lccompere at comcast.net
Mon May 11 22:28:27 CDT 2020

I'm elementary preK-2nd grade. Before schools shut down I taught 32 classes
a week for 30 minutes each. I taught preK-2 students with a story and
follow-up activity for 30 minutes a week and for K-2 something tech related
for 30 minutes a week (research, coding, keyboarding, digital citizenship,
etc.) using chromebooks and ipads. I am a "special" and cover teacher plan
time but I'm the only special that does not give grades.

Post school closure I've been doing a video recorded story/read-a-loud for
each grade K, 1, 2, SPED, and "everyone" (so a total of 5/week) with or
without a supplemental video or extension on a site for my students  and
then adding to another site I made for students where I have coding
missions, coding challenges, PebbleGo challenges, and PebbleGo bingo. I do
all of my teaching/instruction asynchronously. I send out reminders to
classroom teachers every couple of weeks of what is available if
students/families need something "extra" to do. I do not do synchronous
lessons because some of our families are already feeling stressed doing the
GenEd stuff.

Since school closure, I've been doing much more teacher/parent tech support
than I did during a "normal" week. I've taught teachers how to setup their
Clever home pages, setup Google Classroom, shown them how to make worksheets
that students can edit without accidently erasing the  original content,
etc.  I've also done trouble shooting for families on how to access our
resources, upload videos, etc. I've had conference calls with our tech
support staff to test remote tools and work out the kinks before deploying
to the staff at large. I have been a conduit for deploying remote learning
and trouble shooting remote learning and will likely be that for continuing
remote learning. I have pulled together free resources for teachers or asked
our district to sign up for temporarily free subscriptions. I've attended
webinars on best practices for remote learning and summarized the
information for my admins and given periodic reports to my admins on what
teachers are telling me is working and what isn't and what temporary
subscriptions the district may wish to consider adding for next year.  I
have also made one of those "hello we miss you" videos from the teachers for
the students and a poster of images of teachers holding up words to make a
collage message.

For next year, I am retiring, but based on discussions with admins,  if the
school doesn't open for live classes in the fall, I am guessing the library
focus will be:

1 - finding a good ebook platform for primary students or developing some
sort of plan to regularly distribute physical books to students.

2 - delivering some professional development to teachers on some essential
tools that will help classroom teachers with remote learning.

3 - discussing with classroom teachers what projects they plan to do and
what resources they may need and finding remote ways to meet those needs

4 - delivering weekly asynchronous lessons to each grade level and including
a few digital citizenship lessons, possibly exploring grade level
synchronous lessons

5 - analyzing the collection to determine weaknesses/deficits and then
reading reviews to find materials to supplement those weaknesses and
building book purchase lists.all of those important "back office" tasks I
never seemed to find time to do as well as I would like when I was also
teaching 32 classes a week.

I am guessing that my paras may be allowed in buildings in the fall and in
that case paras could help with inventory, weeding, reorganizing, and
repairing worn/well-loved books, replacing and supplementing visual shelf
labels, going through the collection and making sure all the labelling is
consistent on the physical items and in the catalog and recommending items
for replacement as well as processing the books that weren't delivered
before the closures. As I am split between two buildings, my paras are used
to working independently from a list of tasks, so at least for the short
term there would be plenty to do.

-- Leslie Compere