[aisle] RAILS Receives Grant for E-Books

Carol Naughton cnaughton at d94.org
Tue Nov 17 08:56:52 CST 2020

This is great news. One of our biggest struggles this year has not been
with providing books for individual students, but rather for class sets of
shared novels. The oc/ou models that are most common are prohibitively
expensive for most titles. Even having Overdrive, the temporary book
"rentals" are on the pricey side  (especially for the own voices titles
that we are urging teachers to adopt) when you consider it is a one time
thing and can't be reused next year. I would urge whomever is responsible
for allocating funds to examine real needs when spending out the funds.

Thanks,

*Carol Naughton*
*LRC Director, Community High School*

630-876-640 <630-876-6404>0 | cnaughton at d94.org <dleahy at d94.org>

http://www.wegolrc.org/

[image: 31179039. sy475]Currently Reading:After the Shot Drops by Randy
Ribay

[image: Google Certification Level 1 | NYSCATE]

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 8:44 AM Dan Bostrom via AISLE <

> RAILS has received a grant of $125,000 for e-books through the Illinois
> Office of the Secretary of State. In early August, we were notified by the
> Illinois State Library that a portion of the CARES Act (Coronavirus Aid,
> Relief, and Economic Security Act) grant funds for Illinois libraries would
> go directly to library systems for the purchase of e-books.
>

> RAILS will purchase e-books and audiobooks for K-12 users for the eRead
> Illinois shared collection. We will add both recreational and educational
> materials to supplement the high-demand titles that are the focus of the
> collection.
>

> The COVID-19 pandemic has sharply increased demand for e-books at RAILS
> libraries and this demand continues to grow. At area schools, new remote
> and hybrid learning models have created an urgent need for reading
> materials that can be accessed remotely. Over 50 schools have joined eRead
> Illinois since mid-April 2020. Public libraries also face the challenge of
> providing educational and recreational e-resources for students, as they
> are not able to access materials in the library in many cases and are
> spending a lot more time at home. This grant will enable RAILS to meet
> these very important needs for both library types.
>

> Learn more about eRead Illinois: https://ereadillinois.com/
>

> Dan Bostrom
> Member Engagement Manager
> Reaching Across Illinois Library System
> Burr Ridge Office
> Phone: 630.734.5152
> Fax: 630.734.5050
> dan.bostrom at railslibraries.info
> https://www.railslibraries.info

*This message and any attachment thereto is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act (18 USC 2510 et seq).  It may contain information that is
confidential and legally privileged within the meaning of applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail, permanently remove this message and any attachments
thereto from your system, and destroy any hard copies thereof; do not
disclose the contents or take any action in reliance upon the information
contained in this message or any attachments.  If you have any doubt as to
the authenticity of this message or any attachment thereto, please contact
the sender immediately.  Any copying, disclosure, distribution or other
action taken or omitted to be taken with respect to an erroneously received
or inauthentic message or attachment is prohibited. Communications sent or
received by Community High School District 94 may be subject to inspection,
copying, and disclosure under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA).*