[aisle] Google Chats

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Mon Nov 23 11:40:28 CST 2020

We had the same issue that Kristi describes:  students were using chat both
during class time and remotely and causing behavior issues.  There is no
ability to archive chat, therefore any issues were not able to be
investigated.  But as Kristi said, a Google Doc has a history attached to
it, even if the student deletes it.

A few of our teachers actually wanted the chat feature back because they
used it in a responsible and useful way during class for discussion, so we
taught them how to open two screens side-by-side instead.  Students put the
lesson in one screen and a class Google Doc for chat in the second screen.
Voila! Class discussions can still happen.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:29 AM Kristi Pierce via AISLE <

> We don't allow chats, as it can cause a LOT of privacy and behavior
> issues.  Docs can be viewed and are not allowed to be deleted from student
> history, so the doc is retrievable if there is a behavioral issue
> happening.  I know quite a few schools do this, but some allow chats for
> certain organizational units, like teachers or special student groups.
>
> Good luck!
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:48 AM Kathy Wickline via AISLE <
>
>> Dear All,
>> I have several teachers who are upset about the amount of chatting
>> students are doing.  I don't see any reason to turn off chat because
>> students could use a doc to hold a chat or email each other.
>>
>> I just want to know what your school policies are about this and how
>> individual teachers are handling it.
>> Kathy Wickline
>> Unity Junior High Librarian
>> Tolono, IL